What can you and I do to cultivate joy in the Lord in our daily walk with God?
- Offer the sacrifice of praise to God continually – even when you don’t feel like it (Hebrews 13:15) Through the power of the Holy Spirit, this act of thanksgiving transforms our pain into praise.
- “Consider it all…when you encounter various trials,” writes James (1:2). As I said earlier, let the very hindrances to joy become the soil out of which joy blossoms! That happens when we let life’s hard times drive us nearer to the Lord, the only Source of genuine and real hope.
- Give thanks in everything (1 Thessalonians 5:18). Whatever is happening – good or bad – give thanks to God for His sovereignty, his perfect timing, His perfect plan, and His unconditional love.
- Bless the Lord at all time (Psalms 34:1) Offer unceasingly the sacrifice of praise (Hebrews 13:15). The Spirit can – and will- use your praise to touch you with God’s joy.
- Focus on the reality of God’s promises. Every time you open your bible, read with a marker in hand and look for powerful promises that can change your outlook to one of joy. Go a step further and memorize those verses you like best and meditate on them.
- Look up. Shift your eyes and your hopes away from your suffering and focus instead on the splendor of God (Psalms 121:1-2)
- Obey God’s command to be joyful always (1 Thessalonians 5:16). We are commanded to be joyful always….we should be continually growing in joy.
THINGS TO DO TO WALK IN JOY
- IDENTIFY THE TRIAL THAT CAUSES YOU THE GREATEST GRIEF
- FAITHFULLY OFFER TO GOD THE SACRIFICE OF YOUR PRAISE (HEBREWS 13:15)…EVEN IF IT IS OFFERED WITH TEARS.
- CONSIDER THAT TRIAL A JOY FOR WHAT GOD CAN DO IN YOUR LIFE AS A RESULT OF IT (JAMES 1:2-4, ROMANS 5:1-5)
Note: The above information is a study taken from the book, “A Woman’s Walk With God, Growing in the Fruit of the Spirit” by Elizabeth George